27cents

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Feel the Weight of My sentences

It has begun. My wife and I have moved two thousand miles, and I have left a remarkable job - one that started from scratch and went much further than I ever expected - so that we can start all over, again. This time a brand new church. Oh, and the job I traded for doesn't really fully exist yet.

And for this task I am armed with the mighty power of sentences. Well, that and the generous gifts of a number of our friends. But I guess that began with sentences, too. To face all this with a mind full of sentences is a bit like facing down an angry hippo armed with a sturdy marshmallow or two.

We've spent the last several years wondering about whether or not sentences are all you ever get at the start. Wondering - actually more like groping - for something more. But in the end, we decided to be a test case. Maybe carefully unpacked ideas are all any of us need to begin our next act.

So is this a good idea? Pooh that. Let act 2 begin. And as I said when this change began, two years from now we'll either wonder why we were afraid, or we'll know exactly why we should have been.

Truth be told, I don't feel I'm in company that's all that bad - being armed with nothing but sentences - as it is purported that words have been used before to start from scratch. And I'll leave that to your imagination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home