27cents

Thursday, July 30, 2009

chosen


We continue our summer teaching series The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Bible: The Whole Story in Ten Weeks. Over these past four weeks we have considered the themes of creation, promise, covenant and law. If you haven’t heard what has been said to this point, it would be worth your while picking up on past podcasts. You can do that by visiting wkc.org / community / sermon archives. Perhaps this series will be one you would like to keep in your archives.


This weekend we will take a look at the story of David, one of the most important figures in the Biblical story. We will try to show how two prominent Biblical themes intersect in his life, the first “being chosen”, and the second “being conflicted”.


So far, in the Biblical story, we have seen how this theme of God’s choosing has resonated in the lives of Abraham and Jacob, Moses and Samuel. It is a very consistent theme. But what does it mean to be “chosen” and how should we think about that idea? Does being chosen free us from suffering and pain? Does it mean that God’s gift of gracious love absents us from struggle? Does it mean that we are immunized from ourselves and our own human weaknesses? How might the David story reveal the meaning of being “chosen” of God?


What we will see in the course of David’s story is that the grace of God that finds David for purpose and destiny (although he is the forgotten youngest of his brothers), is the same grace that graciously guides him through life (his external conflicts) and reveals those parts of him that need change (his internal conflicts). We will see that being chosen and being conflicted take place within the same life experience. To be chosen means that we are selected by grace and for grace, and this means that all of our conflicts -- both external and internal -- are placed under the watch of compassionate grace. The story of David shows us how this works.


Perhaps my favorite resource to study his life is Eugene Peterson’s masterful exposition on the life of David entitled Leap Over a Wall: Earthy Spirituality for Everyday Christians. You couldn’t go wrong in tracking down a copy and living inside this “chosen and conflicted” life for a while.


See you this Sunday and 9:29 or 11:11. If you are enjoying the summer weather or traveling somewhere, I hope that you are able to continue this Biblical journey with us by accessing the podcast. Have a great weekend.

2 Comments:

  • Today during the sermon I had an epiphany.

    (Back story) Before I went to West Side I thought I’d check out the website and discover that my security program popped up indicating it had blocked an attack and then stopped me going to the web site. Google indicated that “visiting this web site may harm your computer”. It seems third parties may have added malicious code to the sites contents. I believe now that I was being warned if I was went to WSK today I would be attracted.

    I didn’t listen.

    When I got to WKC, I was feeling very uneasy so I prayed for support, hope, that I might feel Gods comfort, something… To be candid the year has been filled with disappointment and hurt…

    and then my feet were knocked out from under me. I wanted to go home and I almost left but a part of me said that I had to see this 'something' through.

    During the service Bob started to talk about “God choosing” and “All for the Good” and I almost jumped from my seat and screamed.

    Anger, frustration, rage, fear, hopelessness, sadness… alone

    God choosing not choosing - Who am I? ‘To be chosen’ requires a ‘not to be chose’ - All for the Good.

    Trying, hoping, praying that I would feel, that God would speak to me, be a comfort, that I would be seen, known, accepted.

    The brick fell. This path, the church path, would not be my path; on this path God would remain silent for me. God was and has been speaking to me and in that silence there was no longer a reason to grasp and pray and hope in anguish. God would be silent and in that silence I would feel.

    In hindsight my past experiences pointed to this revelation but I need to be hit with a brick to hear. I wanted to belong, to be seen, to be a part of a community, family so much I had lost myself and disappeared.

    How could God speak but in silence to a shadow?

    In that moment I was alone like I was never alone before and it hurt like nothing ever before... and then nothing - All for the Good - Chosen, not chosen, seen, not seen, belong, not belonging, all for the Good, We play our roles and that has to be enough.

    By Blogger rightleft33, at 3:21 PM  

  • I wish to apologies.
    There was a lot going on for me that Sunday and after realized that I needed help and have since sought that help out. I have been very angry and haven’t wanted to admit it
    The church environment is not the right environment for me at this time but this is in no way a reflection of WKC. I have a great respect for the people and mission the community is dedicated.

    For all things there is a time.

    Bob I suspect I didn’t hear what it was you intended but I believe I heard what I needed to hear.
    It is my hope that I didn’t discourage you in anyway.

    By Blogger rightleft33, at 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home