27cents

Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Success Gambit

Ambition may very well be a snorting, voracious beast of a thing gobbling up resources and creating powerful (and hard to control) urges.  And we are in a culture addicted to it.  But here a few sentences about a poassible "flip side".  What about the understated virtue of a normal life – one lived NOT in pursuit of some grandiose idea, but something that seems far more mundane on the surface:  serving?

I believe our appetites would kill us, given the chance.  They are linear equations (more, more, always more) not unlike cancer (a tumor is uncontrolled growth).  Our appetites would have us dream a thing that could kill us to achieve (Mt. Everest – see
Into Thin Air by John Krakauer or Deep Survival by Laurence Cruz).  Sometimes it is fitting to say “no” to our heart’s desire.  Even further – sometimes it is NOBLE (see the Bible – all of it).  

What could we call the other side of success (the one we don’t talk about in a culture that has “phallicized” it – the darker side of success)?  After all, it is a bit of a gambit:  maybe when you set out on a path to touch great things, you trade the mundane you didn’t know you needed for a shot of glory you only thought would fix it all.  You could call that a dangerous trade to be sure.  

So it is that many have ended up in bed with a prostitute or wrapped around a needle because of desires they couldn’t control.  The size of the thing you want is matched by the size of desires/holes/needs/thirsts it creates.  I think we should be cautious about what level of appetite we unleash.  We ought to be careful it is something that can be satisfied in the context of a healthy life.

8 Comments:

  • CS said,

    "What about the understated virtue of a normal life – one lived NOT in pursuit of some grandiose idea, but something that seems far more mundane on the surface: serving?"

    Maybe I don't fully get what you are trying to communicate >> but how, exactly, is this a normal life?

    By Blogger jeremy postal, at 2:52 AM  

  • I think our culture tends to create examples of extreme lives. It's not just about someone who does a good thing with a company, it's about the leader who manages to create the biggest company with the most extreme profits and extraordinary lifestyle, etc. We praise the outlandish. I've been thinking, lately, that all this extreme-dream stuff glosses over the virtue of a balanced (or in this case, I called it a "normal" life).

    We tend to think of lives like that in terms of "mediocrity" and "anonymity". Dreams tend to be about what we can achieve and accomplish rather than what we can give. I'm thinking about people like my parents who's only dream was for the opportunities they could pass on to their kids. That kind of heroism doesn't seem to be in vogue any more.

    I think Christianity challenges us to a different kind of extreme - one that lacks the fools-gold gloss of flashy success. Christ's symbol for this was a towel around his waist washing feet. Superstars are far from normal, foot washing servants, on the other hand, seem average and every-day. I think there's something noble in bypassing the flash.

    By Blogger CSW, at 7:51 AM  

  • It seems to be a question of significance, however, to say that one lifestyle is anymore significant or nobel may be on it's own side of outlandish, no?

    Jesus did have his own element of flash. He fed people. He was provocative. He was a phenomenon of proportions unheard of.

    Maybe that is partly why we worship him > praise for the overthetop outlandish significance?

    Just a thought.

    By Blogger jeremy postal, at 3:32 PM  

  • Hey postal !

    How is the climbing going? Been a while man.

    CS

    I think it odd that a current fad is to spend large amounts of energy and time and money on a 'balanced life'. Is it so balanced if you have to spend or use things un-proportionally to obtain what we conceive it to be? I also think you obsessively tried not to use the word humble. I would have. I just did. Humble. I will boast that I am the first to comment on it- Humbleness Humbleness. I probably have the most of it in my church. On a serious note- how are things? Really? how are you?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:21 AM  

  • Oh wow!
    It is crazy who you run into in this little blogsphere! Cody...
    You should come out for some climbing this summer...you can crash at my place or we'll go sleep in the woods in my volvo! Yeah!!

    By Blogger jeremy postal, at 5:17 PM  

  • Cody - things are going really well. Most of the bump and grind is over. Our first Sunday is this weekend, so it's all over but the nail biting. Are you going to fly out for the premier of the Thomas Question?

    By Blogger CSW, at 7:52 PM  

  • So how do we encourage people to dream dreams that aren't extravagant and over the top? Dreams that lead to service and giving ourselves away instead of where we can get? Even in my own life I look at how I have dreams to serve other people but deep down inside when I look into the hidden parts of myself, I see the need to feel good about what I've done. In reality, I feel like I've accomplished something big by serving. Is there really any way around this? What are the steps?

    By Blogger Dan Richardson, at 2:20 AM  

  • I wish I knew steps. I think the point is the struggle - to every day ask yourself over again what a balanced, healthy, humble life looks like.

    By Blogger CSW, at 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home