27cents

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Philosophy of "Lost"

What is “lost”? It’s a state, obviously, but a state of what? Is it the state of being unable to position yourself beyond the immediate landscape around you? Is it losing your sense of position as it relates to other very important locations – like the way back out of a building or the way back home?

It’s a fairly philosophical thing, being “lost”. After all, one can be feeling mostly fine in one moment when only vaguely concerned that they might not know exactly where they are, and then rather dramatically cross some kind of "line in thought" when it is decided they are in fact lost. A sudden shift occurs in their mental state.

And think of this: you can be lost and not know it because you have found a way to think you are on track in your mind. That’s a scary thought. What could ever lead you to doubt the flow of observations and conclusions you are making?

2 Comments:

  • "What could ever lead you to doubt the flow of observations and conclusions you are making?"

    For me it was a gradual and growing sense that I did not know why I thought what I did. Eventually this came to a tipping point and I begin to look around as much as I could to gain as much information as possible.

    By Blogger Josh, at 9:52 PM  

  • I think those are powerful and necessary moment. You and I have passed each other on life journeys which are the inversion of each other. I questioned what I was raised NOT to believe, you've questioned what you were raised TO believe. I think the real test is when we've considered each side deeply and honestly enough to make the best possible decision we can, based on a complex of factors which are important to us. After all, we are the only one's who will ever be responsible for this deepest of most decisions.

    By Blogger CSW, at 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home