27cents

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Fully Physically Present

I’m on a quest. I want to find a way to enjoy a moment for it’s own sake as often as I can. You could call it being ‘fully physically present’: fully occupying the moment you’re standing in undistracted, undivided, and undiminished (giving it your full attention).




All of this comes from the realization that my mind has been about a decade away from my body at any given moment over the past many years. It’s been ten years deeper into the life I wished I was living and ten years further away from all the things I fear or regret. That’s one of our tricks: our mind has the ability to stretch far into the past and far into the future and then distract us with what we see. It helps us forecast and plan ahead and it can also become an escape.

Stimulation can be a problem, too. It’s natural for us to want all our moments to be intense in a satisfying way (something great to look at, talk about, participate in or in some way ‘enjoy’). But not all our life’s moments will be intense (nor should they be) and ‘intensity’ is only one kind of life-state (of many). So perhaps the mad scramble to keep the intensity up is a way of ‘self doping’. Perhaps it keeps us from ever fully occupying the moment we’re standing in undistracted, undivided, and undiminished.

I’m on a quest to be fully physically present.

Paul writes about a secret in Philippians 4:11. He says, “for I have learned the secret of how to get along happily whether I have much or little.” It’s something I’ve often been challenged to try to understand and I think it has something (perhaps a lot) to do with being able to accept a moment for it’s own sake… Undistracted, undivided, undiminished.

Are you developing the ability to enter into any of the many kinds of life-moments? Can you enjoy them for their own sake?

Have a great weekend,

Chris

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home