27cents

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

1 Sentence, 6 Words Long

You’d think we’d be versed in the dangers of saying too much by now. But I don’t think so (at least not yet, anyway). I do this all the time in my teaching career. I take 35 minutes to say something which is probably more effectively conveyed in a single sentence left to hang in the air and tell itself further in the silence that follows.

As a simple (but powerful) exercise, try something this week to see what I mean. I challenge you to exercise the power of an uncluttered, un-appendixed, un-qualified ‘no’. It’s best to put a ‘thanks’ on the end so people know you aren’t upset or anything. But try it, just say “no thanks” without worrying about how to ‘doctor it up’ or ‘pad it’ or ‘spin’ it in anyway.

Better yet, try this simple prayer I’ve been mining for a few weeks now: “Help us Christ, for we hurt. Lead us, Christ, or we will lose our way. You are my hope. Amen.” And then stop. Wait a bit. Think about what you just said. Assume that He heard you. Further assume that in the simple fact of saying those few phrases, you’ve reminded yourself all over again that your life is a partnership, and maybe that’s good enough.

All of this has been a three paragraph introduction in front of my desire to give you a single sentence which is just 6 words long. It encompasses a part of our constant challenge to stay focused on building a Jesus-based life which has more than just ornamental value. It’s at the top of my daily briefing right now and it’s been at the front of my mind for more than two months. It’s far from all you need to know about ‘red letter’ Christianity, but it’s one of the things we’ve shown an eagerness to forget. It’s based on a famous bit of scripture found in John 13:35, “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another”, and here it is:

Simple, honest affection can change history.

Have a great week,

Chris

1 Comments:

  • Great thoughts Chris. Here is something I read a month ago that had me thinking the same thing.

    Ernest Hemingway was once challenged to write a story in six words. Rumor has it that he considered his result, ("For sale: baby shoes, never used.") to be his greatest work.

    Here is a couple others from some modern authors who were challenged with the 6 word story in a 2004 issue of BlackBook Magazine:

    Irvine Welsh: "Eyeballed me, killed him. Slight exaggeration."

    Robert Olen Butler: "Saigon hotel. Decades later. He weeps."

    Norman Mailer: "Satan--Jehovah--fifteen rounds. A draw."

    Tobias Wolff: "She gave. He took. He forgot."

    David Lodge: "I saw. I conquered. Couldn't come."

    Augusten Burroughs: "Oh, that? It's nothing. Not contagious."

    By Blogger onishenko@gmail.com, at 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home